The Apple Orchard
 
musings, chronicles, commentaries, bitchins & ramblins of a lost, but lovin 40 somethin year old soul...come take a bite
Thursday, September 20, 2007
morals? ethics? manners?
I think this post is one of curiousity more than anything else. In bygone days most of us were taught morals, manners and ethics by our parents. It was just a given. I am not saying that my children are not coming into school without this.....I was just curious in how much many of you think is a reasonable amount of time and just what is to be expected on our part to help to make our schools and our environment a morally strong one? There has been so much talk on the part of those that formulate state mandates to initiate moral education in our classrooms.

What does everyone think about this?

Personally, I have always felt as a parent that it was my foremost obligation to teach morals to my children. It is a very sticky subject and I would be very uncomfortable leaving that to a teacher who might not share my beliefs. However, as an educator I too understand that during the course of the day and in creating a classroom community where all my children feel welcome and tolerant of others, that a certain amount of moral training needs to take place. The key is to understand just how much is the job of the teacher and how much is the job of the parent. Also, when you have a child who it is quite evident has not shared the same values as you would like to have in your classroom...Do you step in and reteach? I say we do...simply to promote the harmony we need to promote learning in our schools. Just what is the rule in which we should follow in regards to moral education?

I'm just thinking out loud today.

Besos mi gente...
posted by MsApples @ 1:59:00 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: MsApples
Home: Miami, Florida, United States
About Me: 46 year old NYC Cuban Love Goddess, now residing in MIA, divorced, mom to 2 teenagers, overworked & underpaid educator to loving, yet outta control students...I am intelligent, creative, sexy, compassionate, funny, sarcastic, loving, fucked up, romantic, spontaneous, moody at times, confused, confusing, a bit geeky, helpful and helpless at times, a good listener and a good friend.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Counter

MsApples Publishing
www.flickr.com

This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called MsApples' fotos. Make your own badge here.

Links

Powered by

15n41n1

BLOGGER