I've been diagnosed with an elevated platelet count. My doctor said that there could be many reasons for that. She suggested that I make an appointment to see a specialist. I will be going to see the Hematologist Tuesday @ 10:30 for more tests. What can this mean? Well, silly me, curious me, inquisitive me...had to come up with some type of answer [at least in the mean time] about what ALL of this can entail.
Explanation in laymen's terms...
A high platelet count is called thrombocytosis. It can have many reasons, but two most common are that the cells produce more platelets and that the spleen removes less platelets from the body. Reactive (secondary) thrombocytosis can indicate many things, for example infection, blood loss, inflammatory disorders, tissue damage or even some medicines. Essential thrombocytosis can indicate a blood disorder.
The following medical conditions are some of the possible causes of High Platelets. There are likely to be other possible causes, so ask your doctor about your symptoms.
Blood loss
Infection
Splenectomy
Kawasaki's disease
Hodgkin's disease
Trauma/surgery
Polycythaemia vera
Myelofibrosis
Myelodysplasia
Chronic myeloid leukaemia
Well, there's a whole lots more to say about the condition itself, BUT I refuse to drive myself crazy until I have a clear diagnosis. I truly believe that the old adage, "ignorance is bliss" would serve its purpose right about now. Thank God Internet is down at home, I won't be driving myself or the boys crazy with suppositions or assumptions of WHAT is truly going on. If you get a chance, say a prayer for your chica...keep me in your thoughts. I'm going to put on my 'happy face' for the kiddies and teach my last period.
Besos mi gente...