| Tuesday, February 26, 2008 |
| lights out... |

@ 1:09 pm this afternoon, the lights darkened, much-needed air conditioners went silent and students were rattled. Within minutes, generators kicked in and our emergency lights turned on. I figured there was a storm somewhere that was affecting us and everything would be A-OK in no time at all. The boys and girls are quietly sitting at their desks reading, when an announcement comes on the P.A. "Code Red, Code Red...teachers we're at Code Red" I immediately shut the blinds and lock the classroom door. I open the dividing partition and make sure that the teacher next door has done the same. She and I give each other "the look". The students are now asking questions and wondering [as are we] what is happening. I tell the students to continue to read, that I am going to attempt to find out what is happening. Right then and there, electricity returns ... wonderful...I knew it just had to be a bad rain storm. But, why were we under a "Code Red"? I turn on the T.V. to the local news channel to see if anything is going on that perhaps we should be informed about and low and behold, Channel 6 is announcing a massive power outage within the state of Florida. WHAT?? Hmmm, all of a sudden memories of 9/11 come to mind and I begin to think of a terrorist attack at Turkey Point, the nuclear power plant about 20 miles or so south of where the school is. I say a silent prayer. My colleague brings her class in with mine and the boys and girls begin to sit and watch the news. While the boys and girls are watching the news, I text Antonio and Andre and find out from them that they are also under a "Code Red" but that electricity hasn't been restored to their schools as of yet. I started to get a little ansy, I didn't like the fact that I was far from them but moreso, there was the fear of the unknown at this point. I sat at my desk and listened intently, the news was now reporting that blackouts went as far north as Daytona Beach....goodness gracious...what could have caused this massive blackout? Our school principal comes back on the P.A. and informs is that our Code Red has been called off, but they are going to start dismissing students on a one-to-one basis. Oh yeah, memories of 9/11 are definitely resurfacing right about now...I remember the front office being jam-packed with parents pulling their kids out of school that day...I bet my last dollar that the office was in an uproar. I ask the boys and girls to pack up and sit quietly at their desks. I glance at my watch, and it's about 2:20 ... the high schools are about to be dismissed. I text the boys and tell them to go straight home. My cell phone rings...it's Andre... "ma, they're not dismissing us, unless a parent comes to sign us out"! While on the phone with Andre, Antonio calls..."hold on papi, it's your brother" "ma, you gotta come get me, they're not letting us go home"? ... "hold on papi, I've got Andre on the other line" I join the calls and the three of us on now talking. "The Code Red is called off here at school, I will leave at 3 to come get both of you. Don't worry, I will get there as fast as I can". I tell them I love them and hang up. Alrighty, my students are leaving in spit-fire fashion....only three are left of my 20. I glance at my watch and there's only a couple of minutes until the official bell rings...my colleague offers to stay with my three, so I grab my keys and haul ass to the parking lot. Ohhhhh my my my, low and behold, what do I encounter?!?! A stand still out in front of the school...I maneuver the car the best way I can out of the lot and out onto the street to realize that the lights are NOT functioning!!! GRRRRR, again, I smile, and dash out in front of a couple of cars and quickly make my right on to the Palmetto highway that will take me to my destination. Thank God, that the highway is clear and running as smoothly as possible...while on the road, Andre calls me and tells me that they are letting them out and that he's going to walk to his dad's house which is close by....OK...one down, one to go. I am about 3 miles or so from Antonio's school when he calls and tells me that they are also letting them out...."I'll be there in a couple of minutes, papi, wait for me on the corner, because I am sure that traffic is going to be insane". I arrive near the school and Antonio is there ..WHEW!!! I've got him safe...now let's go and get Andre and get home. Well...as you can tell...WE'RE HOME, ALL OF US, safe and sound. We lost power at the house ... the lights and the clocks were blinking. I praise God that things weren't what I thought...*SIGH* I'm going to open a bottle of wine...and chill for a few...oooh wait, the boys are claiming they're hungry, I guess I better get some food on the table and then sip on my wine. LOL LOL Besos mi gente.... P.S. Just got news that my sister, Nuria, was stuck on the Metro-Rail for almost two hours...poor thing... |
posted by MsApples @ 1:19:00 PM  |
|
|
|
|
| About Me |
|

Name: MsApples
Home: Miami, Florida, United States
About Me: 46 year old NYC Cuban Love Goddess, now residing in MIA, divorced, mom to 2 teenagers, overworked & underpaid educator to loving, yet outta control students...I am intelligent, creative, sexy, compassionate, funny, sarcastic, loving, fucked up, romantic, spontaneous, moody at times, confused, confusing, a bit geeky, helpful and helpless at times, a good listener and a good friend.
See my complete profile
|
| Previous Post |
|
| Archives |
|
| Counter |
|
| MsApples Publishing |
|
|
| Links |
|
|
| Powered by |
 |
|