I haven't taught summer school in 10 years. but, this year, it's only for 20 school days and the extra income will definitely come in handy. Anyways, today I attended a workshop that introduced the curriculum I'll be teaching for the summer. It's only a two day gig and they're paying us a stipend of $175 a day for the training, so what the FUCK, its worth it, right?
I truly didn't think that I would enjoy myself, so I brought a book and my iPod with me to pass the time. Well, wasn't I pleasantly surprised when my entire day just flew by. I will be housed in the technology lab with ONLY 15 rising 3rd grade students that tested very low in reading/math..for the ENTIRE DAY!!
The name of the program is Zoom In Zoom Out. The students will get to use digital microscopes and cameras to investigate and report on natural objects. They will also utilize mathematics, science and language arts skills by taking pictures, reducing objects to scale, combining images and different scales, and journaling. IT'S GOING TO BE GREAT!!! The district is providing me with 32 flash drives, a scanner, two digital cameras, a color laser printer, and kick ass software to assist the students.
During our training today, a couple of the teachers were LOST IN SPACE, there is NO way in hell that you can implement this curriculum without being tech savvy! In fact, one of the instructors told two of the teachers that she was going to have to speak to their principal, because they JUST weren't going to be able to carry out the program. These teachers didn't even know what a flash drive was!
Oh, before i forget...I made a new friend! It's funny how I attract men of color. Story of my life. My mother use to say that I was a magnet of sorts. Is it my 'flava' that attracts them? HA HA HA Really, go ahead and laugh, cuz that's what the teacher sitting next to me told me today. "Mami, I knew there was something about you, you have that 'flava'" I had to truly contain my laughter. I have to give the brotha credit, though, he was trying to get brownie points with Miss Flava here! LOL LOL
Well, I'm off to take a nice warm shower, wash my hair, shave my legs and EAGERLY wait for my Chinese food. I didn't feel like cooking today, hell I am on FUCKIN' vacation. Sheeeeit, I don't have to do anything I don't want to!
Besos mi gente... |