| Monday, December 31, 2007 |
| my twelve grapes...a tradition close to my heart... |
The countdown has begun, I MUST eat my twelve grapes. I have to swallow one with each stroke of the clock, have them scarfed down before everyone yells Feliz Año Nuevo! One for January...February...March...you get the idea, don't you? Each grape represents luck or good fortune for the new year. I've done the grape eating thing since I can remember. Each year the magical grapes were bought, rinsed and placed in bowls. Everyone has their own individual serving. Devouring 12 grapes in the seconds given, requires speed and experience, so it’s always a time for laughter and joking amongst those that are present. The younger ones almost never achieve it, but the adults compete to see who will be the first one to finish the grapes. The last second of the year ends with laughs, gasps and hope, and it is followed by shouts, hugs, kisses, good-luck wishes and maybe some tears — then comes the time to drink, dance and celebrate the new year. I went this morning to Publix and got all the grapes. They were in abundance. Green seedless, red, all so big and juicy. I got the green seedless. Tonight at my sister's, we will designate a Grape Keeper. The Grape Keeper will be the one to rinse, count and place the 12 grapes in bowls for everyone. The Grape Keeper is a special assignment--it could be the difference of having a good year or not! LOL LOL Besos mi gente....
Have a blessed and Happy New Year! |
posted by MsApples @ 9:02:00 AM  |
|
|
|
|
| About Me |
|

Name: MsApples
Home: Miami, Florida, United States
About Me: 46 year old NYC Cuban Love Goddess, now residing in MIA, divorced, mom to 2 teenagers, overworked & underpaid educator to loving, yet outta control students...I am intelligent, creative, sexy, compassionate, funny, sarcastic, loving, fucked up, romantic, spontaneous, moody at times, confused, confusing, a bit geeky, helpful and helpless at times, a good listener and a good friend.
See my complete profile
|
| Previous Post |
|
| Archives |
|
| Counter |
|
| MsApples Publishing |
|
|
| Links |
|
|
| Powered by |
 |
|