| Monday, January 19, 2009 |
| thoughts... |
I was brought up to believe that “Jesus loves the little children…all the children of the world…red, yellow, black and white their all precious in his sight“…yet I watched the nightly news circa 1968 and saw blacks, young children, men and women being attacked by dogs….being hosed down, tear gassed, kicked and beaten for no reason, other than the color of their skin. I sang “we shall overcome, we shall overcome, someday” with my elementary school music teacher, Ms. Parsons, not realizing the impact it held in 1968 America. I remember the assassinations of Martin Luther King and Bobby Kennedy…the reaction and emotions of my teachers resonated such sorrow; MY country echoed affliction and grief. There was sadness and disappointments...remorse and heartbreak. What an era to grow up in...yet, I wouldn’t trade it for the world. It’s impact and its influence on my life and ideals are immeasurable. Today…2009...41 years later, we’ve come a long way since 1968. I look in awe at the opportunities and freedoms given to people of color…opportunities that MY SONS will be recipients of because of the fight and struggles of those that paved the way. I hope and pray that they won’t be judged by the color of their skin…but by the character of their heart. Our country has come a long way…we HAVE come a long way babeeeeee!!! We have come a distance, yet still have a ways to go. I was so proud that Antonio and I voted for President TOGETHER this past November!!! He was able to cast his vote without repercussions or judgment. It was an emotional day for me...yet taken lightly by him....does the youth of today take their freedoms for granted?! On the eve of his historic inauguration as the nation's FIRST African-American commander-in-chief takes office, I stand proud, hopeful and excited, that MY country will come together and embrace change…embrace a new beginning of leadership, courage and humility. Let his calls from the mountain top bring Americans together; EVERYONE ...red, yellow, black, white, straight, gay....cuz we're all precious in His sight. |
posted by MsApples @ 2:30:00 PM  |
|
|
|
|
| About Me |
|

Name: MsApples
Home: Miami, Florida, United States
About Me: 46 year old NYC Cuban Love Goddess, now residing in MIA, divorced, mom to 2 teenagers, overworked & underpaid educator to loving, yet outta control students...I am intelligent, creative, sexy, compassionate, funny, sarcastic, loving, fucked up, romantic, spontaneous, moody at times, confused, confusing, a bit geeky, helpful and helpless at times, a good listener and a good friend.
See my complete profile
|
| Previous Post |
|
| Archives |
|
| Counter |
|
| MsApples Publishing |
|
|
| Links |
|
|
| Powered by |
 |
|