The Apple Orchard
 
musings, chronicles, commentaries, bitchins & ramblins of a lost, but lovin 40 somethin year old soul...come take a bite
Tuesday, February 07, 2006
Sigh...im rambling today
whew!!

...first day of testing is over...although I am not particularly looking forward to a 3-hour session tomorrow, thank goodness it concludes this weeks agonizing chain of events. The students get tired and frustrated and SO DO the teachers....my feet hurt dammit!!! We're not allowed to sit down during the testing period, in fact, we have to walk around the classroom to make sure the kids are on task and aren't bubbling in just anything on their exams.

March's testing dates are intense!!! Heavy duty!!! We have 2 weeks of testing. This helps determine accountability of teachers in teaching their subjects...and assessment of students as far as their learning is concerned. It's a bit too fuckin much if you ask me. I agree that we need to assess the learning that's going on in the classroom, BUT what I don't agree with is is the fact that we now teach towards a test instead of a "well-rounded" child.

Knowledge isn't being passed down the way it was when I was in school. I can sit down and have a convo on any subject matter, I feel I am well versed, I can defintely hold my own. Inspite of being "gifted - learning disabled" I am smart, I am an intelligent individual. On the other hand, kids nowadays are taught to take a test and pass it without retaining any of the information that has been taught...they aren't being educated, schooled, they're limited in information, comprehension, facts, skills, etc. The ABC's of learning are being over looked....and because of this children are falling through the cracks. It's pretty sad to see a 12 year old in 5th grade...then we wonder why they're dropping out of school?? THEY'RE FRUSTRATED!!! I wish I could change the system...ARGH, but who am I kidding.

My goal...for my students to leave my classroom feeling good about themselves, understanding what's been said, taught, discussed...imparting knowledge that will take them beyond their expectations...building self-esteem, confidence and appreciation for education on any level.

posted by MsApples @ 3:39:00 PM  
2 Comments:
  • At 6:54 PM, Blogger MsApples said…

    LOL LOL and a great apple picker at that jake!!! besos

     
  • At 2:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hmmmmm,

    Tha sounds like an interesting position...

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: MsApples
Home: Miami, Florida, United States
About Me: 46 year old NYC Cuban Love Goddess, now residing in MIA, divorced, mom to 2 teenagers, overworked & underpaid educator to loving, yet outta control students...I am intelligent, creative, sexy, compassionate, funny, sarcastic, loving, fucked up, romantic, spontaneous, moody at times, confused, confusing, a bit geeky, helpful and helpless at times, a good listener and a good friend.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Counter

MsApples Publishing
www.flickr.com

This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called MsApples' fotos. Make your own badge here.

Links

Powered by

15n41n1

BLOGGER