The Apple Orchard
 
musings, chronicles, commentaries, bitchins & ramblins of a lost, but lovin 40 somethin year old soul...come take a bite
Thursday, January 03, 2008
we ARE family...
The boys, their father and I had to attend our family therapy session today. The boys and I got there on time and were brought into the therapists office. Apparently, their father had called prior letting him know that he would be running late and that we should start without him.

Our therapist, we'll call him Tyrone...anywho, Tyrone is a white, pudgy old Jewish man. Very bohemian...he sports Birkenstock sandals with socks, he wears unfitted jeans that sag, his hair is long, curly and frizzy. He dawns his glasses on the bridge of his nose to acknowledge you and curses like a sailor. I wish I had a dollar for each time that man said 'ahhhh fuck'.

Well, we were 20 minutes into the session, Antonio was venting about how his father deliberately ignores and totally disregards him. Tyrone is buzzed ... he answers the buzz and tells us that Antonio [father] has arrived. There is a knock at the door and the father enters the room. and sits on the couch opposite from us. Antonio immediately stops talking...Tyrone asks him why he stopped. Antonio shrugs his shoulders and responds 'cuz he's here'. By this time Antonio [father] realizes that his son is sporting a mohawk and begins to laugh and mock his new do. Said he looked like a fool.

SIGH I can feel the tension.building...

Antonio [son] then turns to his father and says...."oh, so all it took was for me to do something foolish so you can acknowledge me?" "I guess making honor band, wasn't foolish enough. Or playing a solo during the Christmas concert wasn't foolish enough, or coming to my ring ceremony...that wasn't foolish enough huh?" "You know dad, to HELL with you."

I am in tears....I am holding on to my Antonio's hand [he's shaking like a leaf]. Tyrone gains control of the room and the father looks stupified!! Andre is biting his nails [nervousness], I am staring down this monster of a man [I tell ya if looks could kill, he would be 6-feet under!] Antonio [father] blurts out "hey Tony, why don't you tell everyone how you really feel"

That's it!!! That's the was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Antonio [son] stands up and leaves the room. Andre is following close behind him. I can hear Andre talking to his brother. I gather my jacket, Antonio's jacket and my purse and tell Tyrone that I have to go and make sure that Antonio is alright. Tyrone agrees and walks with me to the door and suggests that we should schedule a couple sessions without the dad bring present. I agree and tell him that I will call him tomorrow.

I walk out of the office and find Antonio in tears. Andre's sitting next to him telling him "everything's gonna be alright bro". I hand him his jacket, give him a hug and kiss him...he looks up at me and says..."Mami, I love you, thank you for ALWAYS being here for me". At this point, Andre is hugging on me....it was a moment that humbled me. How can I not be here for you...YOUR MY SON...MY SONS!!!!

Ahhhh....once the tears subsided...I came up with the grandiose idea of getting something to eat...FOOD CURES ALL AILMENTS!!! We ended up at TGI Friday's for dinner and then decided to see what time National Treasure was playing @ the movies. We bought our tickets, got a BIG ole tub of buttered popcorn and the three of us sat and watched the movie together.

Emotional...to say the least,,,but I am glad that Antonio was able to open his heart and let out what was tearing him apart...maybe this therapy thing does work.

I am calling it a night.

Besos mi gente...

posted by MsApples @ 3:18:00 PM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: MsApples
Home: Miami, Florida, United States
About Me: 46 year old NYC Cuban Love Goddess, now residing in MIA, divorced, mom to 2 teenagers, overworked & underpaid educator to loving, yet outta control students...I am intelligent, creative, sexy, compassionate, funny, sarcastic, loving, fucked up, romantic, spontaneous, moody at times, confused, confusing, a bit geeky, helpful and helpless at times, a good listener and a good friend.
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Counter

MsApples Publishing
www.flickr.com

This is a Flickr badge showing photos in a set called MsApples' fotos. Make your own badge here.

Links

Powered by

15n41n1

BLOGGER